Whether you play professionally or a pick-up game in your backyard, injuries should not be sidelining you from participating in the sport you love!
With physical therapy sessions at Peak Performance Physical Therapy that are adapted to effectively treat your pain points, you can be back in the game in no time.
Strengthening your muscles is essential in practicing good preventative and responsive care for your body. Although sports-related injuries occur more frequently in young-adults and children, adults can be at risk as well if not properly warmed up, in the best physical shape, or are unfamiliar with the sport’s movements.
According to an article from Healthline, a study conducted in 2016 found that 8.6 million people, ages 5-24, have a sports injury every year in the United States. Forty-two percent of the reported injuries are attributed to the lower body.
Most Common Types of Sports Injuries
- ACL sprains and tears
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Sprains, strains, fractures
- Hamstring injuries
What you can do to reduce the risk of a sports-related injury?
Before the game
- Do not underestimate the importance of warming up and getting the blood flowing throughout your body- it could mean the difference between getting injured or coming out unharmed
- Consider lightly stretching to help prepare the ligaments for movement
During the Game
- Stay hydrated
- Take breaks if you feel you are pushing your body too hard!
- Wear the necessary equipment at a minimum
- Cleats, helmets, and paddings may be required, but that does not mean you can’t invest in other precautionary gear (mouth guards, ankle braces, etc)
- Practice proper movements and good form
- Avoid jerky, sudden body movements that shift the weight of your body too quickly
- Good form keeps your body aligned and can provide adequate ‘cushion’ to absorb the shock/weight in high-impact activities
After the Game
- If injury occurs, do not overdo it or try to fight through the pain- this can make things worse
- Rest accordingly and seek medical treatment if the pain, swelling, or bruising does not dissipate in a timely manner
- Schedule a free injury consultation with one of our licensed physical therapists if pain and discomfort persist
- Stay hydrated
Sports-Related Injury Treatments at Peak Performance
Don’t sweat it, Peak Performance has you covered. Sports-related injuries are one of the most common problems that athletes seek treatment for. Our physical therapists will create an individualized plan to ensure a safe and speedy recovery.
What Can Peak Performance Offer?
- Free injury consultation to direct you towards the most effective treatment
- Thorough initial evaluation and treatment including exercises that not only strengthen the affected muscles, but surrounding muscles as well to enable a complete recovery
- Training on proper form for lifting, bending, squatting, jumping, and cutting after an injury to safely return to your sport and prevent future injuries
Read more about how physical therapy is crucial to recovering from a sports injury.